We grow the grapes. Redbank produces the wine. You open the bottle!
Redbank is a Yalumba brand established in 1973 in the cool climate King Valley in Victoria’s high country, where our vineyards are often covered in snow in winter and shrouded in cloud during other times of the year. Redbank's winemaker, Marc van Halderen and Yalumba's chief viticulturist, Robin Nettelbeck work closely with a dedicated team of carefully selected independent growers (that's US) to complement the fruit grown on Redbank's Myrrhee Ridge vineyard (right next door) and create the finest cool-climate wines. Many of Redbank's growers are descendants of Italian families who came from Europe in the 1950’s to farm this beautiful but rugged land. Many planted tobacco and hops farms and of course small vineyards. Today the spirit of the Italian heritage lives on, sharing good food with good wines and good friends as a way of life.
elevation652 @ Mt Bellevue sits 652 metres above sea level at Myrrhee, overlooking the town of Whitfield in the heart of the King Valley. On a clear day you can see forever…truly. Sensational sunsets, clouds sitting quietly below you and snow- covered mountains staring you in the face.
Our 66 acres of vineyards sit at 652m above sea level - just below the snow line of the Great Dividing range.
Continental climate (cool), ideal for sparkling and fine white wines
Best known for deep red volcanic salts, great soil for growing quality wines.
The King Valley Collection
The magnificent Myrrhee Ridge vineyard sits 652m above sea level overlooking the King Valley. Harnessing this premium fruit and complementing it with grapes from other family-tended vineyards, we specialise in high quality sparkling wines and the styles of Italian origin that excel in this region, including Prosecco, Fiano and Pinot Grigio.
Ellora Chardonnay Pinot Noir
• Classic blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
• Elegant sparkling wine
• Selected from our best sites high in the King Valley
• Altitude ensures long, slow ripening
• Each parcel of fruit is kept separate until the final blend
• A small portion stored in old oak barriques to add extra complexity
• Secondary fermentation in bottle
• Aged on yeast lees for as long as possible – in this case 36 months.
• Extended time on lees allows the natural process of yeast autolysis to add further complexity and creamy texture to the final wine
Emily Brut Cuveé
• Chardonnay and Pinot Noir fruit
• A delicate, finely structured and fruit driven wine
• Aromas of lemon zest, green apple and white nougat , with flavours of roasted cashews and honeycomb
• A creamy texture and fine line of citrus acidity leading to a crisp and refreshing finish
• A blend of more than one vintage maintains consistency of wine style
• Sourced from selected vineyards in the King Valley
• The high altitude and cool climate are ideal for producing sparkling wines
• The fruit is harvested during the cool of the night
• Gentle handling of fruit in the winery preserves the delicate fruit flavours
• The base wine is kept on lees for an extended period to build yeast complexity and texture, while maintaining freshness
• One of the oldest grape varieties in the world, Fiano dates back to the days of Roman viticulture
• Inspired by the Italian heritage of the King Valley region, a small parcel was planted at Myrrhee, a tiny hamlet in the King Valley
• The vineyard is perched high on a hilltop with breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside
• Made with minimal intervention, the fruit was gently pressed immediately after harvest and then allowed to ferment with the natural “wild” yeast present on the grape skins
• The wine then spent 8 months on full yeast lees in older French oak barriques with regular batonnage to add even greater texture
• Italian variety growing in popularity
• Grown on a small family owned vineyard at Whitfield in the heart of north east Victoria’s Alpine region
• Refreshing, crisp sparkling wine with delicate flavour
• The grapes were harvested and gently pressed to minimise phenolics
• After fermentation the wine was held for a short time on yeast lees in old oak barriques
• Bottle fermented and expedition liqueured soon after the completion of its secondary fermentation to maintain freshness
Sunday Morning Pinot Gris
• The high altitudes and moderately cool summers of the King Valley are ideal for the production of high quality aromatic varieties
• Grapes are selected from two special vineyard sites in the King Valley which each add their own unique characters to the final blend
• The Cavedon vineyard provides fullness of flavour, structure and a distinct minerality characteristic of this vineyard
• Higher up the valley is the vineyard of David Burder: one of mainland Australia’s highest vineyards (860 metres asl) exhibiting classic Pinot Gris aromas and flavours of rose petal, blossoms and fragrant spices, combined with a fresh, restrained acidity.
• Redbank Pinot Grigio is inspired by the Italian heritage of the King Valley region
• Cool, alpine climate is perfectly suited to producing refreshing and aromatic white wines
• Enjoy with simple fresh food and shared with friends
• Fruit is harvested when it is just starting to show flavour while retaining a high level of natural acidity.
• The combination of altitude and cool summer conditions allows the grapes to ripen evenly
• The grapes are harvested during the cool of the night and pressed immediately to maximise fruit freshness and aromatics
• Cool fermentation helps to enhance varietal character, with a small portion of the juice allowed to ferment with wild yeast to add extra complexity and texture
• The final blend then spent 7 months on full yeast lees in older French oak barriques with regular batonnage to enhance the texture
The Long Paddock Range.
Fruit is sourced from the cool climate King and Ovens valleys, as well as other premium grape growing regions in Victoria. The wines are finally blended by the winemakers of the Hill Smith Family Vineyards at Angaston. Continuing the tradition of recognising our “bush” heritage and the part our growers play in crafting these wines, packaging has been developed to graphically reflect Mother Nature’s moods and the challenges and celebrations which is part of the Australian farmer’s life.
Pale straw in colour with green gold tints, lifted aromas of fresh passionfruit flesh, guava and lemon zest with underlying notes of white nougat and freshly cut grass. The palate is zesty and fresh with generous passionfruit and green tropical fruit flavours on the mid palate, leading to a persistent grapefruit pith finish.
The grapes are sourced from the King Valley, where high altitude and cool summers are ideal conditions for producing aromatic white varieties. Flavours of ripe pear and fresh peaches provide generous fruit flesh in the mid palate which is nicely balanced by a refreshing pink grapefruit acidity on the finish. This Pinot Grigio has more fruit generosity than you expect yet still finishes crisp and fresh in the expected Grigio style.
Pale gold with green-gold tints, Redbank Long Paddock Chardonnay 2014 has fresh aromas of lemon and lime zest and ripe peach overlaid with hints of white nougat. The palate shows generous flavours of green tropical fruits and lime curd with a creamy texture which is balanced by a refreshing citrus acidity on the finish. Ready to drink on release and for up to two years. Enjoy with a fillet of crispy-skin salmon served with lemongrass and lime glaze and a side of Asian greens. Oak: 10% fermented & matured in older oak barriques
Medium depth magenta with hints of red, enticing fruit aromas of dark cherry and blueberries with hints of anise and savoury spice. A medium bodied palate with generous plum and dark berry fruit flavours on the mid palate. A splash of King Valley Sangiovese (5%) provides extra depth and a savoury finish. Fruit for this wine was sourced from selected Victorian vineyards, with the majority coming from Malcolm Milne’s cool Ovens Valley vineyard. Oak: Matured for 2 months in older French oak Barriques (32% of blend).
Deep magenta in colour with tinges of carmine red tints, vibrant aromas of fruits of the forest and fresh plums with savoury notes of white pepper and star anise. The palate is medium bodied with generous dark chocolate, berry and spice flavours. Its fruit sweetness and mid palate flesh is complemented by a dash of Sangiovese which adds a distinctive savoury tannin edge to the final blend. Oak: Matured for 5 ½ months in older French Barriques (30% of blend)